Blog

Throw Away Your Microwave

Throw Away Your Microwave

Do you really know the effects of microwave cooking on your food? We live in such a fast paced society nowadays where we need things quick and in a hurry. Microwaving a meal means you get to eat a lot sooner with no food preparation but is it really healthy for you? Everything vibrates at a frequency, even food. Microwaves have a strong electric field. The short wave radiation from the microwave changes the molecular structure of food. It makes heating of the food uneven. Most microwave users cook everything on high power except when defrosting. The higher the power the stronger the electric field and the more damaging it is for the nutrients in your food. Cooking your food whether on the stove or on the oven destroys nutrients.

According to Dr. Mercola, the Jan/Feb Nutrition Action Newsletter reported the leakage of numerous toxic chemicals from the packaging of common microwavable foods, including pizzas, chips and popcorn. Microwaving fatty foods in plastic containers leads to the release of dioxins (known carcinogens) and other toxins into your food.One of the worst contaminants is BPA, or bisphenol A, an estrogen-like compound used widely in plastic products. In fact, dishes made specifically for the microwave often contain BPA, but many other plastic products contain it as well. There are very small amounts of radiation leakage through the viewing glass, but the FDA reports these levels are “insignificant” and “well below the level known to harm people.” Should we believe them?

So what do you do when you are too busy to cook?  Buy a small convection oven instead. I know that infrared cooking is getting a lot of attention. Infrared energy heats the food by quickly vibrating the molecules inside the food to allow more of the moisture to be retained inside the food.  Being 85% raw, I have no use for either so I say do your home work and remember the best nutrients are found in raw foods. 

Eat Well, Be Well, Stay Well