The Benefits of a Green Smoothie
According to McKel from Nutrition Stripped “The Benefits of a Green Smoothie”
1. Easy to digest! Because the raw/frozen fruits and raw greens have been blended, the cell walls where nutrients are encased, are then “broken”. Blending essentially makes the nutrients more readily available for use by the body. Think of it as being “pre-digested”
2. Nutrient dense. Packed full of vitamins, minerals, fiber, antioxidants, polyphenols, fiber, water, and oh did I mention fiber?
3. The new breakfast. Perfect first thing in the morning before your usual breakfast, snack, OR increase the serving to take place of your entire breakfast (up to 32 oz or until you’re satisfied).
4. Simply and quick. If you’re someone who is always on the go, this is a perfect way to ensure you’re getting a substantial amount of greens into your diets (which are oh so important!).
5. Veggie-lover. Even if you’re someone who doesn’t enjoy eating green leafy vegetables, this is a perfect way to “sneak” them into your diet. You won’t be able to taste the greens at all with the mixture of fruit and lemon juice- I promise, just give it a go!
6. Kid-approved. Not to mention, they are very kid friendly. Especially when you have fun with the names of the colors found in smoothies (i.e. the Hulk for a green smoothie, Spider man for a red berry smoothie, or princess for a pink smoothie, etc.). It’s a fantastic way to get nutrient dense foods into their growing bodies.
7. Versatile. You can always add/remove ingredients to your liking. That’s why green smoothies are so easy to incorporate into your lifestyle.
8. Filling. Since the main ingredients of my green smoothie are only fresh/frozen fruit and raw vegetables, it’s loaded with fiber. 1 serving of my Green Smoothie ~ 10g fiber.
9. Energizing. The main ingredients used are fruits and vegetables, which are loaded with nutrients, vitamins, and minerals to give you sustaining energy in comparison to stimulating drinks that only last a few hours.
10. On-the-go. There’s nothing quicker than throwing heaps of veggies and fruits into a blender, blending, and pouring into a mug to go out the door. It’s a super simple breakfast or quick meal/snack idea for a busy day ahead.
11. Digestion. We mentioned the amazing fiber content in green smoothies, which is both soluble and insoluble. Having a food or meal that contains both types of fiber is fantastic for a healthy, efficient, and regular digestive system.
12. And of course DELICIOUS!